- This event has passed.
Metro Meeting of the Minds
January 19 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Please join us for an afternoon of Open Space style conversations with topics suggested by the community!
Saturday, January 19, 2019
12:00 – 4:00 PM, with happy hour to follow
- FREE for members of the Theater Alliance (including any employee or company member of a member organization, or an individual member)
Check if you are a member here: https://mntheateralliance.org/alliance-members/
- $10 for non-members (Or just become a member today!)
Pay via Paypal: http://bit.ly/metromeeting-nonmember-payment
+ + + + +
12:00 – 12:15 PM | Welcome
12:15 – 1:45 PM | Session 1
- What now? Our business model is crumbling. What are we willing to do/share/be honest about when it comes to the challenges of our field? What actions can we take to meaningfully address rampant economic injustice and systemic inequity that is resulting in an ever widening have and have not culture for artists, artworkers, and arts organizations? (Helpful context: https://hobt.org/about/imagine/challenges-of-our-field/)
- I’ve been a professional artist for 18 years. Why am I still emerging?
- Building touring networks: Can we work together to identify pathways for Twin Cities artists to develop their work here and tour their work elsewhere?
1:45 – 2:00 PM | Break
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM | Session 2
- Compensation: How do we achieve higher, more livable wages for artists (actors, directors, designers, etc)? How can funders, cities/state, labor affiliations, artistic institutions, and artists themselves move the needle?
- Building audiences for challenging or experimental work: How can contemporary performances makers work together to make a home for experimentation and critical dialog in the Twin Cities?
- Option to continue a conversation from the previous session
3:30 PM – 4:00 PM | Closing, happy hour to follow
+ + + + +
Topic suggestions were proposed via Google Form. That afternoon, we will hold two sessions of small group conversations about the topics that the community has brought forward. This could be related to a specific vocation, issues affecting our community, or hive-mind solutions to outstanding problems. Everyone who is a performing arts practitioner is invited. We will wrap up the afternoon with a festive happy hour.